Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Holy January, Batman!

Well, looks like I lost a month there.  I am going to make an effort to be better, but in my defense I shall show you what has been keeping me so busy! (aside from being a grown-up, which is hard...)

Since October I have been a full member of the comic readers' bandwagon, and my gateway drug/first favorite series was/is the Birds of Prey.  It turns out the group made a cameo appearance on the children's cartoon "Batman: The Brave and the Bold" in which they sing...so naturally, Antonia, Julia and I decided to get our superhero sewing on and enter the masquerade (a costume contest) at Arisia, our local Sci-fi/Fantasy convention that we attend every January. It was so much fun, but also a lot of hard work! In addition to weekly rehearsal for the past few weeks, it was also my first time working with spandex and my first time sewing pants. Woo!

All of our hard work paid off, though. The con was a blast, and the audience seemed to really love our performance. Plus, I really love Huntress--I will definitely need to wear this again!

As it was a convention we spent the whole time dressed up, so without further ado I will move on to pictures and fill in my commentary as captions. Like Gotham City, Arisia has an interesting and crazily-dressed population.

presenting the "Bling-vengers:" spreading sparkle and justice. Julia (dressed as Captain America, complete with hand-rhinestoned shield) was the mastermind of the operation, and she made her dress as well as the Iron Man and Thor dresses. Check out her blog!

Antonia and I as Banner and Stark: Science Bros. Cue references to How I Met Your Mother's "Bro Code," suiting up, and lots of high fives.

HULK HUGZ (running into friends)

Some other hall costumes--super cute Star Trek dress made from a men's XXL t-shirt

Sir Alanna of Olau and Pirate's Swoop, aka the Lioness--I was so excited about this, because this is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE book series ever (by Tamora Pierce). I've never seen anyone dress up as Tortall characters before!


we met a few very nice Meridas, from Disney's Brave, but this one had the best weaponry

the Bling-vengers encounter Thor

it's difficult to shop when the dealers are to busy taking your picture! Actually, it's difficult to move when everyone takes your picture---but that's the cost of being cute...

snack time in the green room, because you won't like me when I'm hungry...also, green glitter lips!

if only we'd had shawarma....

BATMAN!! 

entertaining the crowds as part of the "In-character Dating Game." I was not super funny, but made it pretty far--the only two trekkies won, how cute!

the guys, doing their 16th c. pike presentation

getting ready backstage at the masquerade. I am the official group "wig wrangler"

practicing our poses


then we beat up a photographer! (just kidding, he was taking an artsy shot--it was cool, I hope I get to see it!)

consulting for our "official" pictures


our signature dance move

post masquerade, we posed some more!


alllllllll the poses

All our hard work paid off--we had a great time, the audience cheered, and we won ribbons! Our victory shot: ribbons for Workmanship ("Best 2-D to 3-D Interpretation") and Presentation ("Best in Class")

What a weekend! I am still not fully recovered, but I'm getting there. It was a TON of fun, and I am already looking to more superhero dress-up for Boston Comic Con in April! Hooray!

Or as Lady Blackhawk would say: Hawkaa!!

EDT: for more pictures, you can see the Boston Globe's coverage of the Arisia masquerade here!

No comments:

Post a Comment