Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Ragtime Inspiration

Between moving and my machine needing repairs, I haven't done any serious sewing in the past couple of months, but I'm eager to get back into the swing of things! First on my list is a 1914 outfit with come pretty plaid wool I picked up this fall--yay, outerwear! I've been amassing ragtime inspiration lately because it's time to start prepping for the centennial of the beginning of WWI. In case you've had other things on your mind this month besides Archduke Ferdinand's upcoming assassination anniversary, here's a brief reminder courtesy of the TV show BlackAdder.


Ok, so it didn't happen quite like that, but you get the idea. What I've actually been most drawn to for sewing is the juxtaposition in 19-teens silhouettes made popular by French designer Poiret: drapey, fabulous coats (often trimmed in fur) above narrow, sleek skirts. I'm planning a coat/skirt combo as my next sewing project, to be worn in a few weeks in Plymouth.

French fashion plate, c.1913

Mine won't be quite as dramatic (or drapey) as the French fashion plates, because I'm not a Parisian fashionista and it'll be cold in late November. But I am aiming for the narrow-skirted shape that was so popular at the time. It's a truly distinctive look, and one that's quite different from a lot of the clothes I'm used to wearing. It'll be an adventure to see if I can make it through the day without ripping a seam!

cartoon, 19-teens
Here are some of my inspiration images. I'm excited to start sewing!

fashions, 1914
Fournier, 1914

1913-1914

women in Paris 1914
I have cream and plaid wool, brown fur...it's time for some modern fashions! (well, modern for me...)


1 comment:

  1. Funny clip... :) Can't wait to see what you come up with!

    Quinn

    ReplyDelete